Decisions

Standard

Hi everyone!

So I have some exciting news! I heard back from a post-bacc program! I’m so incredibly excited! However, I have some tough choices to make though.

My husband’s job can’t transfer him where we would be going. I had checked with him for the other schools, but this one had completely slipped my mind. As luck would have it, he may be able to transfer within the company to a field that he wants to make a career out of, but they may require him to stay in the state. If it was just the teo of us we could probably make this work anyway, but as you know I have twin boys. This makes it more complicated because we can’t pack up and move without some sort of income, so if my husband has to stay in the area it will be a strain in our family.

So I’m sort of at a cross roads. The program is great and tied to a medical school, which is exactly what my advisor said I should do. However, it’s gotten down to choosing between my husband’s dream job/livelyhood and me furthering my education in hopes of getting into med school. My husband has gone as far as suggest that he should stay home with my boys and continue to work while I go to school across the country. This is not an ideal situation and one that neither of us wants… and honestly I’m not sure it’s worth it enough for me to leave my sons for a year. On the other hand, should I pass this up? Something I’ve worked really hard for that could improve my GPA and my chances of getting into med school?

For now, I haven’t heard back from the other three schools. My top choice may or may not have a completed application; I asked on Wednesday but have yet to receive a response. It’s one last letter of recommendation, and I keep reminding the person writing it to send it. All I can do is wait and hope someone else gets back to me so we can decide on the best option.

I’m really nervous for the future. Last week I was dying to get accepted anywhere… now I’m dreading having been accepted. I know things will work out in the end, but I guess I have to stress out about it first.

Anyway, just a little update. I have until June 30th to get back to the school and let them know if I accept their offer or not. I’ll let you know what happens and how this works out. Here’s hoping only good things come our way!

Andrea.

To Gap or Not to Gap…

Standard

Hi everyone,

I have some cool updates for you guys. I managed to get an A- and a B- on my last two O-Chem exams, so I’m well on my way to get a B in the class. If my professor drops out lowest test score, which depends on our next exam’s average, I could possibly end up with a B+! However, the lab is killing me; the lab questions aren’t very clear to me, but we’re not allowed to ask questions. This means I’m averaging a C+ on my lab reports. I’m really disappointed, but I’m going to work hard to bring that up to a B by doing well in the rest of the pre-labs, labs, and lab final. The lab is considered a separate class, so I really need to do well! As for Physics, I have an A in the lab and a B in the class; I’m really happy, because this is all counted as part of the class, so my final grade should be at least a B if I continue to do well.

That’s it for classes updates. Now, to talk about the title of this post… I’ve put off the MCAT yet again. I didn’t feel like I was going to be able to study for it the way the program I signed up for wanted, 30+ hours a week, while still doing well in my classes. I want to make sure I do well so I can’t afford to slack off. That being said, I will be signing up for a prep course in September and taking it in April or May. That means I’ll be applying to medical school next year and hopefully starting in 2019. It feels so far away, but I need to be able to do things well from now on.

So, to take a gap year or to not take a gap year? Right now, I’m leaning towards taking a gap year. I don’t have to take any other classes except maybe two suggested ones; I haven’t decided if I’ll be back next semester to take Genetics, but that’s probably the only class I would take. However… I dunno if I’ll be here next semester. I might move out of state! Why?

I applied to post-bacc programs! It’s only a few, and I’ll be learning about one that is brand new in my home state so I can apply there as well. I have submitted everything, and I’m just waiting for my professor to send in my letters of recommendation. I will be emailing my professor this weekend to ask if they’ve been sent out yet; one of the schools has a three-week deadline from the time you submit your application! That one is my top choice so I will be annoying my professor until he sends them.

I’m so excited and so nervous! I’m trying to be optimistic but honestly, I’m scared I won’t get in anywhere because I applied later than I wanted to. Just thinking about how great it will be for my medical school application makes me want it even more; I can improve my GPA significantly if I do well, which I know I can do. Honestly, I like school so much, that I think a gap year will bore me. I don’t take classes during the summer, and I get bored with nothing to do and no stress. I know how that sounds… I just like school. Last summer I did MCAT prep on my own and it was heaven. I felt so accomplished at the end of the day; study, work out, spend time with kids. It was perfect.

Anyway, I’m getting off track. So the plan is to take a gap year if I don’t get accepted into a post-bacc program. I really hope I do, because I don’t want to take a gap year, but I’ll make the best of whichever situation I’m in.

It’s times like this that I have to remind myself why I’m doing this. It feels like I keep putting it off, but I know I have good reasons and I’m still trying to improve while enjoying the stage I’m in. The path to medical school is anything but linear, at least for me. It might take me longer, but I will get there.

Fingers crossed!

Andrea.